Follow these steps to completely remove GShade from your Mac.
1) Open Terminal.app.
2) Click Mog to copy the command, paste it into the Terminal window, and hit Return/Enter. This will automatically download and execute the GShade installation script:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HereInPlainSight/gshade_installer/master/gshade_installer.sh)"
3) You should see the following menu appear:
4) Press 'D' on your keyboard. This will bring up a list of games GShade is currently installed to. If you've only used GShade with XIV on Mac, you should only have one option to choose from, and will likely be option '1'. Enter a number and hit Return.
5) Open the Finder, and select Go -> Go to Folder. Type in ~/.local/share in the pop-up that appears and hit Return.
6) Drag the "GShade" folder to the Trash. Then choose Finder -> Empty Trash. This will permanently remove GShade and any custom presets/shaders, as well as all backups.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why is GShade no longer available for download?
A: The developer of GShade was caught adding malware to the GShade installer that caused PCs to forcibly restart if a community-made tool was used to extract resources downloaded by the installer.
Q: I had GShade installed! Was XIV on Mac affected?
XIV on Mac was not affected by this issue, for two main reasons:
1) XIV on Mac maintained a separate version of the GShade installer for macOS. This version shares a codebase with the GShade installer for Linux and is completely separate from the Windows version. The malicious code only existed in the Windows installer.
2) Even if a user manually ran the Windows version of the installer using XIV on Mac, the code used to terminate a system is not effective when executed from within a Wine environment. It would have had no effect on macOS (and Linux, by extension).
Q: What now?
XIV on Mac now supports ReShade as an alternative. Please see https://www.xivmac.com/reshade.